The National Certificate: Generic Management, NQF Level 5 forms part of a learning pathway of management qualifications across various sectors and industries. It is specifically designed to develop management competencies required by learners in any occupation, particularly those who manage first line managers. The qualification builds on the FETC: Generic Management and further develops the key concepts, principles and practices of management that will enable learners to lead, manage, organise and control first line managers and team leaders. The learners will typically be managers who have other junior managers or team leaders reporting to them. In smaller organisations or entities, the managers could primarily be responsible for managing the supervisors and staff within their section, division or business unit.
A person acquiring this qualification will be able to manage first line managers in an organisational entity. First line managers may include team leaders, supervisors, junior managers, section heads and foremen. The focus of this qualification is to enable learners to develop competence in a range of knowledge, skills, attitudes and values including:
- Initiating, developing, implementing and evaluating operational strategies, projects and action plans, and where appropriate, recommending change within teams and/or the unit so as to improve the effectiveness of the unit.
- Monitoring and measuring performance and applying continuous or innovative improvement interventions in the unit in order to attain its desired outcomes, including customer satisfaction, and thereby contributing towards the achievement of the objectives and vision of the entity.
- Leading a team of first line managers, by capitalising on the talents of team members and promoting synergistic interaction between individuals and teams, to enhance individual, team and unit effectiveness in order to achieve the goals of the entity.
- Building relationships using communication processes both vertically and horizontally within the unit, with superiors and with stakeholders across the value chain to ensure the achievement of intended outcomes.
- Applying the principles of risk, financial and knowledge management and business ethics within internal and external regulatory frameworks in order to ensure the effectiveness and sustainability of the unit.
- Enhancing the development of teams and team members through facilitating the acquisition of skills, coaching, providing career direction, and capitalising on diversity in the unit.
- US252044 : Apply the principles of knowledge management
- US252037 : Build teams to achieve goals and objectives
- US252020 : Create and manage an environment that promotes innovation
- US252032 : Develop, implement and evaluate an operational plan
- US252027 : Devise and apply strategies to establish and maintain workplace relationships
- US252021 : Formulate recommendations for a change process
- US252029 : Lead people development and talent management
- US252043 : Manage a diverse work force to add value
- US252034 : Monitor and evaluate team members against performance standards
- US252025 : Monitor, assess and manage risk
- US252035 : Select and coach first line managers
- US120300 : Analyse leadership and related theories in a work context
- US252026 : Apply a systems approach to decision making
- US252036 : Apply mathematical analysis to economic and financial information.
- US252042 : Apply the principles of ethics to improve organisational culture
- US252022 : Develop, implement and evaluate a project plan
- US252040 : Manage the finances of a unit
- US12433 : Use communication techniques effectively
- US252030 : Analyse compliance to legal requirements and recommend corrective actions.
- US252041 : Promote a learning culture in an organisation.
- US114212 : Explain the impact of organisational wellness on a business environment and indicate a strategy for a business uni.
- US12140 : Recruit and select candidates to fill defined positions.
- US12761 : Demonstrate an understanding of macroeconomic principles as they apply to the South African business environment.
- US252024 : Evaluate current practices against best practice.
- US252033 : Develop ways of dealing with the impact of dreaded diseases and in particular HIV/AIDS.
- US252039 : Develop a plan to combat corruption.
- US10048 : Identify brand mix elements.
- US114226 : Interpret and manage conflicts in the workplace.
- US252031 : Apply the principles and concepts of emotional intelligence to the management of self and others.
- US117853 : Conduct negotiations to deal with conflict situations.
- US15230 : Monitor team members and measure effectiveness of performance
- US264408 : Manage and improve communication processes in a function.
- US15224 : Empower team members through recognising strengths, encouraging participation in decision making and delegating tasks
- US15214 : Recognize areas in need of change make recommendations and implement change in the team, department or division.
- US15219 : Develop and implement a strategy and action plans for a team, department or division.
- US15236 : Apply financial analysis.